The Green Key award
The Green Key award is a leading standard of excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This prestigious eco-label represents a commitment by businesses that their tourism establishments adhere to the criteria as stipulated by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE)
. A Green Key stands for an establishment’s promise to its guests that by choosing to stay with such an establishment, they are helping to make a difference on an environmental and sustainability level.
Starting from 2017, Qatar Green Building Council became the National Operator for Green Key in Qatar. Qatar Green Building Council works to maintain the high environmental standards expected of the applicant and Green Key awarded establishments through documentation and frequent audits. To learn more about Green Key click here
The prestigious award serves various establishments under six categories:
- Hotels and Hostels
- Campsites and Holiday Parks
- Small Accommodations
- Conference Centers
In order for the applicant establishment to receive a Green Key Award, the applicant establishment must meet a set of sustainability criteria itemized under thirteen domains.
- The application process requires the establishment to submit its application with the supporting documentation. Later, the applicant establishment will participate in an audit to ensure criteria has been met and best practices are being implemented.
- Onsite audits to the applicant establishments are carried out in year 1 (before first award), in year 2 and thereafter every third year.
- Offsite audits are carried out in the years without onsite audits.
- Consequently, the Green Key National Jury and after the successful audit, will award the applicant establishment The Green Key.
- The Green Key Award will be renewed yearly thereafter.
References & Downloads
- Green Key Qatar_Registration Form_Hotels (R01a-February 2018)
- Green Key Qatar_Process (R01-October 2017)
- Green Key Qatar_Fees (R01-October 2017)
- Green Key Qatar_National Criteria explanatory notes-Hotels 2016-2020 (R01b-Oct 2018)
- Green Key Qatar_Application Form_Hotels (R01b Oct 2018)
Tools & Resources
- Carbon calculation tool
- Water calculation tool
- Best practices
- Download the registration form
- Send the filled form to email@example.com
- Pay the registration fee
- Start preparing your documentation
For any question about criteria and audits, please contact Qatar Green Building Council, Green Key National Operator:
QGBC Head of Communications
Qatar Green Building Council
P.O.Box 5825, Doha-Qatar
Tel. +974 4454 7430